Ascending from the plains towards the slopes of Darjeeling, travellers are greeted with the aromas of tea, wood smoke and wildflowers. Sprawled over a steep mountain ridge, Darjeeling enjoys a magnificent location, surrounded by lush tea plantations and jagged Himalayan peaks. Graceful colonial buildings, narrow, winding streets, Buddhist and Hindu temples and colourful markets create an old world atmosphere.
Darjeeling is famed for its Himalayan views and visitors flock to viewpoint of Tiger Hill. In clear weather, the sunrise is spectacular, with distant Mount Everest clearly visible.
- Tibetan Buddhist monasteries or gompas - the vast Druk Sangak Choling Gompa, the scenic Bhutia Busty Gompa, home of the original Tibetan Book of the Dead, and the Yiga Choling Gompa, famed for the statue of the Maitreya Buddha
- Observatory Hill, site of the Dorje Ling monastery
- Bustling markets filled with woollen goods, Tibetan artefacts, jewellery, antiques and other items
- Rich botanical gardens, beautiful temples and monasteries, museums and even the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute
- Tea plantation tours, superb mountain treks, thrilling train journeys and white water rafting trips
From INR 278,777 per person sharing
Immerse yourself in the heart and soul of India with an adventure that takes you from the bustling capital of Delhi to India's tea growing region, the cultural hub of Kolkata and one of India's beautiful national parks. Combine fascinating architecture and vibrant markets with magnificent...
A world-class destination spa, Ananda in the Himalayas combines old world charm and elegance with a selection of wellness and cultural programmes designed to rejuvenate body and soul. From yoga and ayurveda to trekking and white water rafting, this tranquil destination soothes the mind and...
Have a quick question? Ask one of our experienced safari and travel experts.
- Madhya Pradesh